From a conversation at Econtalk between the Host Russ Roberts and his guest Arnold Kling who is ranking intellectuals:
- asking Devil’s Advocate questions – it’s provoking the guest into answering a tough question.
- stating the odds of your position.
- caveats: admitting that there could be a problem with one of your proposals.
- showing an open mind, showing a willing-saying, ‘I would change my mind if.’
- research, not just, ‘This supports my point of view,’ but really evaluating the quality of the research.
Being thoughtful, respectful of the other side, willing to admit that you’re wrong, and so on, these are things we can all take with us and can all use to evaluate.